mardi 17 août 2010

First Night

Act III – The fried bacon smell
I spent 8 hours on the plane. There was a huge selection of movies, series and cartoons. The choice was hard but it didn’t matter ‘cause each time I was falling asleep in the middle of it, and each time I decided to watch another from the beginning. I haven’t completed any of them after all! But I have to say, they were censored version and it didn’t help, especially for Kick-Ass.
A friend picked me at Washington Dulles Airport and hosted me for a night in a small town of Maryland. I had a quick look around in the hood and I felt really good. The american car plates, the yellow line on the road, the sidewalk made of big concrete squares, the electric wires on huge wooden posts, small details, but important.
It was hard to realize I was in the US, in a place I saw so many times on TV or in cinemas! And now that I arrived here, I could smell the US! And it smells fried bacon, or french fries, for real! We drove along fast foods and the smell very strong, that was astonishing.

S7301464.JPG_effected

I was starving to death. The time for my first meal in the USA had come and I had to make it a success, and to make a wise choice. The number of restaurant chains was huge : MacDo’, KFC, Pizza Hut, and many others. I finally picked one I heard a lot of good about thanks to the silly Philippa – Chipotle! Caramba! Yeah I can hear you yelling, big girl!

S7301470.JPG_effected

They serve mexican food, mostly based on burritos and nachos : you pick your main ingredient (the meat) and choose any topping. I got myself a chicken burrito I  really struggled to finish. It was tasty and good though, and cheap, 6$ only.

I hardly got up on my feet, definitely became a slave to the law of attraction because of this enormous burrito. I walked away and arrived to a country fair, the kind of fair where they show farm animals, rodeo, and monster trucks wrecking cars! I didn’t get it because I was too tired, but it looked very nice from the outside! My first glance of the deep american culture :)


S7301469.JPG_effected

On my way back home, I admired the typical american wooden houses. I really like their style, especially their illuminated porchs through the night – they remind me a lot the Edward Hopper’s painting Summer Evening. I love them, so peaceful and quiet!

S7301478.JPG_effected  S7301480.JPG_effected
Hopper33

That night was special, it’s been ages since I hadn’t the feeling of discovering new things by exploration, I hope it will continue.
good night dear followers
-toto

2 commentaires:

Philly a dit…

..and finally, you've sampled the joys of Chipotle - NOW you see why I go on about it I hope?!

Amanoccio a dit…

Monster trucks wrecking cars!!!! If i had seen that, it would have been the best day EVAAAA--

Even though i've just finished eating, seeing your first meal made me want to eat again.....

Enjoy! Big Tony!